Tuesday 18 May 2010

Tales of the unexpected

So who do you know that has a "normal" life? Do you have a "normal" life? Are you doing exactly what you always dreamed you would be doing at the age you are now?

I was in a room of seemingly "normal" women the other day. I cast my eye around and came up my opinions and judgements. We were asked to write our "origin stories" - in other words, the significant and important events that have shaped our lives thus far. One lady was happy to share her story with us. I could not believe what I was hearing - her life had run a very different course from the one I had imagined. She had taken brave, perhaps foolhardy, steps to find independence and freedom. We read about these regularly in books such as "Eat, Pray, Love". There is always a "happy ever after" outcome. Bravery and courage = rich rewards. In the case of my lady, it didn't work out like that. In fact she initially ended up in a worse place than the one she had left.

I am privileged to have heard many women's "origin stories" in the course of my work. How many of us figured that we were the only ones struggling in certain areas? Who does "have it all" and where would the challenge be in that anyway? So, in case you were wondering, you are not the only one with fat knees/ greying hair/ a desperate longing for a loving partner/ an un-fulfilling job and so on......

There are enough "self help" books out there designed to "fix us". "How to be a Goddess"(whatever for?); "How to be happy" (get real); "Change your life in 7 days" (no thanks I'm busy) and so I have decided to take a different approach - a sort of "Anti-Goddess" if you will. I simply want to take your experiences, learnings and challenges and put them out there (anonymously) as a guide to "Real Life". I've always been more than a little curious about other peoples lives - it is so reassuring to know that I'm not alone in my "un-normalness". It certainly takes the pressure off. I would like to think that you would find it richly informative and just a little comforting too.

I am looking for case studies from WOMEN. That is the only criteria. Age, shape, and birth sign are irrelevant. You may not think that you have an interesting tale to tell but I can assure you that you do. Fancy being a part of this? Simply drop me a line - would love to hear from you.

No comments: