Tuesday 17 August 2010

Don't let shopping get you down

I seem to be hearing this a lot - how many of you HATE shopping. This hasn't always been the case. There was a time when clothes fitted our bodies and we had the pick of the High Street.

I was in Windsor yesterday taking a look at the new season's collections. I love this time of year for that very reason. And I wasn't disappointed. So many desirable pieces if only budget was limitless. But actually, budget isn't the main constraint. The simple fact is that most of what I saw doesn't fit. It doesn't fit my short, curvaceous frame. But it also doesn't fit the majority of women it is designed to target. I did a quick poll of women around me as I drank my skinny cappuccino (well, what else was a girl to do??). It is not just us over 40's who find shopping for clothes difficult. Younger girls also have larger chests, smaller waists that need some kind of definition and legs that don't need to be displayed in tight fitting Lycra.

This season is all about long, shapeless tops worn over leggings tucked into biker boots or with flat brogues. Try as I might, that look isn't a good one for me. Or for many others. So what message of hope is there? Well, the message is: "don't succumb to fashion for fashion's sake - wear what fits, flatters and feels good". And if you simply cannot face the changing room mirror then invest your budget wisely on fabulous shoes, boots,scarf and bag. Oh and some new nail varnish too - I bought a striking pewter colour. That's it. They are all you need to update your wardrobe. And as for the brave - well you could always hire the services of an expert Personal Shopper......

No comments: